The insurance industry has started giving additional discounts to smarthomes. In the past, an alarm certification showing that an alarm system was monitored was all that was needed to get a discount on your home insurance policy. Those discount rates have begun to shrink in the past few years. However, the industry is now beginning to give additional discounts if you have smarthome devices such as an alarm system, cameras, controlled HVAC, smart locks, or other devices. Currently you need a combination of several of these devices to be deemed a “smarthome”.
In order to be categorized as a smart home, the property must have a smart security feature that either controls access or monitors the property or a smart temperature feature, in addition to a reliable Internet connection. It must also include at least two additional features from this list:
- Appliances (smart refrigerators and smart washer / dryers)
- Entertainment (smart TVs and TV streaming services)
- Heating / Cooling (smart HVAC system, smart fans or vents)
- Lighting (smart light bulbs and lighting systems)
- Outdoors (smart plant sensors and watering systems)
- Safety (smart fire / carbon monoxide detectors and nightlights)
- Security (smart locks, smart alarm systems or cameras)
- Temperature (smart thermostats)
If you would like to bring your house up to modern standards and to meet these guidelines in order to receiving discounts on your home owners policy, please contact us at 256-467-6314!